The Mastery Readiness Programme is for primary schools that want to adopt teaching for mastery in maths, but would benefit from a staged approach.
Schools that are successful in implementing sustained and meaningful change through teaching for mastery have key foundations already in place.
These key foundations include:
- shared vision and culture around the importance of maths
- a belief that every child can achieve highly in maths
- a positive mindset towards maths amongst all staff
- good maths subject knowledge amongst teachers and TAs
- systems that maximise learning, such as timetabling, intervention, curriculum and pedagogical approaches
- teaching of arithmetical proficiency for all children, to support mathematical fluency by reducing cognitive load
- ongoing staff development, which is valued by all staff and senior leaders.
The Mastery Readiness Programme offers support and development in these areas. There is no charge for participation in this programme. However, schools must ensure that staff are released to engage in the workshops and school visits, and that the headteacher attends events where appropriate
We currently have spaces available in the Portsmouth and Southampton areas. Please contact the Maths Hub for more information.